Saturday, May 5, 2012

Simple Card Saturday and CASE Study Challenge #89

Happy Saturday, everybody!  I hope everybody's week was fantastic. For today's simple card, I made a card that is different than my "normal" style, I think.  I really liked this card by Agnieszka Malyszek, who is the current muse over at the CASE Study challenge blog.  Here's the inspiration photo:

I loved the black-on-black with the pops of color in the form of big letters.  Then when I saw the card that Christina MacLaren made based on this card, I  knew I had to have a go at it.  Like Christina, I also used this sketch from Retro Sketches (this is last week's sketch, so I can't play along there):

Now for the paper yummies:

I must apologize for the photography on this card.  I don't know why it was such a fail, but my camera just did not capture these colors very well.  And for some reason, it refused to focus on this card when I tried to photograph straight-on.  It was as if the card was too bright for the camera to look straight at it, like it's the sun or something.  LOL. But as soon as I turned the card ever so slightly, it would focus.  And despite what these pictures indicate, the card does not actually look like cheesy 3rd grade scratch art in real life.  It actually looks pretty cool in person.  (Who remembers scratch art? LOL)

So I stamped the world's largest alphabet stamps by KI Memories (how awesome would it be if that was the real name?!?) to spell the word "hi", then embossed them with leaf green embossing powder.  I stamped the flower from the new Paper Smooches "Hubby and Wifey" set three times, and embossed them all with white embossing powder.  I colored over each one with Prismacolor markers to create a pink, aqua, and orange flower, since I didn't have those exact colors of embossing powders.  I masked the bottom flower, and stamped the zigzag pattern from the Paper Smooches Geo-Graphic set across the card, then embossed with clear powder.  I finished off the card with some black Rain Dots and rounded corners.


I don't usually tend towards one-layer cards - they actually kinda scare me - but somehow this one tricked me into it. This card has magical powers, apparently.  Full of trickery and something that makes the camera unable to look straight at it.  Hmmm...maybe it's a vampire.

Ok, done rambling.  Thanks for looking!

I'm playing along here:
CASE Study Challenge #89
Crafty Catz Challenge #131: April Showers Bring May Flowers
CropStop Challenge #70: Emboss It
Paper Pretties PWC204: Flowers
Tuesday Throwdown #96: In the Garden

Supplies: cardstock: The Paper Company; stamps: KI Memories (alphas), Paper Smooches (zig zag, flowers); ink: Versamark; embossing powders: American Crafts (white, leaf), Hampton Art (clear); markers: Prismacolor; corner rounder: We R Memory Keepers; rain dots: Cloud 9/Fiskars

11 comments:

  1. A vampire card huh? Is it's name Edward? It's pretty like Edward...

    Actually it rocks! Love the layered embossing and those huge letters are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful take on Aga's card! Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this retro card! Thanks for joining us at CASE study this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable, Kimberly! So delightfully CAS. Perfect for our "In the Garden" challenge. So glad you decided to play along at Tuesday Throwdown this week. We love regulars.
    NanaConnie TT DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so very cool, Kimberly! I love those oversized letters and the bright pops of color on black. The black rain dots look amazing, too. Thanks for the shout-out, and thanks for joining us this week at CASE Study!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great explanation! Teehee! Thank you for joining in the fun at www.CropStop.com! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card! Thanks for joining our CropStop Emboss Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! The pop of colors are sooo great! Thanks for sharing this with us at CASE Study Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card! I love the bright colors against the black. The black embossing is a nice touch as well. Thank you for playing along with us at CropStop. Come back tomorrow for a new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, very fun and those colors just POP agains the black.

    ReplyDelete