Friday, February 10, 2012

CPS Day 6 - Christmas Joy (and a trick for ribbon scraps)

Happy Friday! Today I have my card for day 6 of Card Positioning Systems 5th anniversary. I really liked this simple little sketch, and thought it would be perfect for my upcoming Christmas in February class at Real Deals. Yep... I said Christmas. This year I started a monthly Christmas card class where I teach 3 Christmas cards and one everyday card, so that by the time Christmas rolls around, you've built up a stash of cute, handmade cards and you don't have to scramble at the last minute. And you have some everyday cards to give along the way. Here is the sketch (#37):
For my card, I wanted to use my Happy Holidays stamp set from Hero Arts/Basic Grey's Nordic Holiday collection. Along those same lines, I chose some pretty patterned paper from GCD Studios' Scandia Jul collection. Now for the paper yummies:

While making this card, I invented (LOL) a new way to use a ribbon scrap that's not long enough to tie into a knot, much less a bow. I wrapped it around the card front, and used the baker's twine to secure the ribbon (in a half-knot) like you would a pony tail. Then I separated the two ends of the ribbon and pulled them in opposite directions (like when you separate your pony tail into two sections and pull them apart from one another to make the hair band tighter). Then I brought the baker's twine to the top of the ribbon, threaded the two ends through a couple of stacked buttons, and tied the baker's twine into a bow, securing both the ribbon and the buttons. I thought it looked pretty cute, and I'll definitely be using this trick on future projects. Here's a closer picture:
I'm also playing along with Jingle Belles "All Buttoned Up" challenge
Thanks for looking!

Supplies: cardstock: Recollections (kraft), Georgia Pacific (white), Core'dinations; patterned paper: GCD Studios; stamps: Hero Arts/Basic Grey; inks: American Crafts (green), Joann (white); embossing powder: Hampton Art; white pen: Signo Uniball; edge punch: Fiskars; ribbon: Michael's; baker's twine: Divine Twine: buttons: craft supply; sewing machine: Kenmore; thread: Singer

7 comments:

  1. Very clever with the ribbon ... and I love those layered buttons with the traditional holiday hues ... so glad you buttoned-up with us a jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great take on the sketch and I love your ribbon/buttons combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a ♥FABULOUS♥ and totally appealing holiday card, not to mention a BRILLIANT way of using ribbon scraps and buttons! looooove this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!! Love the paper, the colors, the stamping, and the great idea for 'short' ribbon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute! And I love your ribbon treatment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ribbon tip.
    Great card too.
    Eveline.

    ReplyDelete